Tuesday, August 2, 2011

T-Minus 12 Days

Today I will start my post with a definition.

Apprehension- Anxiety or fear that something bad or unpleasant will happen; uneasy.

When I made backcountry camping reservation for Tom, Andrew, Ashley and I back in March, I never imagine I would be so apprehensive on August 2.

In 12 days, we're hiking the 55km Northern Loop trail on the slopes of Mt. Rainier. And all those weeks ago when we made our reservations, we only thought we'd have to worry about rain. We never considered we'd need to worry about... Snow.

SNOW!

SO MUCH SNOW!

We are starting our hike on August 15th at the Sunrise Visitors Centre on Mt. Rainier in Washington State.

Piles of snow at the Sunrise Visitor Center.

Public washrooms at the Sunrise Visitors Center.

When the website said, "There is still 8 ft of snow at Sunrise," they really mean, THERE IS STILL 8 FT OF SNOW AT SUNRISE.

I've been checking the camping conditions website daily for updates. It looks like 20 inches of snow melted last week. But there is still a lot to go...


Right now, I request that you think many warm thoughts for us and hope for speedy melting. We're really going to need it!

No comments:

Post a Comment