Sunday, July 24, 2011

Paint and Repeat

A few months ago I spent the afternoon painting some pottery at the Clayground . I wanted to make a plate to commemorate the birth of my niece, Madelynn. My mother-in-law, Barb, was making a birthday present for her husband, Dave.

These types of places have a huge selection of pottery to choose from. Plates, mugs, bowls, vases, platters, pet dishes, piggy banks-- pretty much anything you could want, they have it. After you select your piece of pottery, the staff washes it off and you select your bottles of glaze.


You can squeeze your glazes into a little painting tray, and then you get to work!


The table gets a little crowded with all the bottles, paint brushes and pottery laying around.


The most tedious part is putting on the multiple coats of glaze. To get a solid coloured plate, you need to put at least three coats of paint on it. This takes quite a while because you have to wait for each layer to dry as you go. I didn't get a good shot of Ashley's plate. But it was a lovely green with a pretty little dragonfly on the front.


Barb's "Morning Joe" mugs turned out quite well and made an excellent birthday present. She made two matching mugs and wrote "Barb" and "Dave" on the handles to personalize them.


I was happy with Madelynn's plate when I left for the day. But I'm always a little worried about how my pieces will turn out after going through the kiln.


But it turned out just as I'd hoped! Perfect for a beautiful baby girl.


Madelynn-- approximately 4 months old.


No comments:

Post a Comment