Sunday, March 20, 2011

The Wonderful World of Edmonton

Tom and I decided to get out of town this weekend, so we drove up to the wonderful city known as... Edmonton!

We stayed at the Fairmont Hotel MacDonald, thanks to the discounted rate by my company.


I've always thought the hotel looks a bit imposing at the top of MacDougall Hill. This is the second time we've stayed at this hotel. I really like the location, and they also supply free bags of Fairmont blend tea... I took them all home with me!

We met Tom's aunt and uncle for dinner at a Turkish restaurant downtown. We had freshly made pitas with a trio of dips, a savoury dinner of meatballs and satay beef skewers, followed by baklava and buttercream vanilla icecream for dessert.

I was stuffed full of food, and promptly fell asleep at 9pm, back in the hotel room.

The next morning we had breakfast with Jeff and Shauna at a restaurant called the Sugarbowl near the U of A campus. I had the Eggs Benny, which were served on cornbread instead of your typical English muffin. Delicious!

Next, we hit up the World Waterpark at West Edmonton Mall.

We had heard a rumor (confirmed here) that the waterpark was getting a new waterslide. The old waterslide, known as the Skyscreamer, was in the process of being dismantled. This will make room for the newest "extreme" waterslide-- the Aqualoop.

To ride the Aqualoop, you will get into a container which I like to think of as a "drop capsule". Because the floor drops out from under you!

Random guy in drop capsule.

Then you get shot up and around a loop-- almost rollercoaster style!

Aqualoop in China.

Now... I'm a pretty big wuss. So, I doubt you would have caught me on that thing even if it had been installed in West Ed. But I do think the idea of it is pretty fantastic!

It seemed like we had barely been at the waterpark when suddenly it was already 3:45pm. By then, Tom had a scraped up back from falling out of his tube in the Lazy River (and then I rammed into him), and we had witnessed a lifeguard jump into the pool to help a panicky little boy. We left around 5pm, and then tagged along with Shauna and Jeff for a Mediterranean dinner on Whyte Ave.

We had dim sum with Tom's aunt and uncle in the morning, and then made the drive home.

Back to reality all too soon. But it was a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment