Sunday, December 26, 2010

Surviving Boxing Day

Boxing Day is always a bit of a conundrum. I love shopping! But I hate crowds... But I LOVE shopping! But I hate crowds... Usually the shopping wins out.

And really, who actually likes crowds? As a result, my mom, sisters and I have a plan. We arrive early, and leave early. Last year we arrived at the mall at 9am, and were gone by 11am. We hit a few key stores, got our stuff, and got out!

This year I didn't have anything in mind that I wanted to get, except a few new sweaters for Tom. But after receiving not one, not two, but THREE e-mails from my favourite store, RW & Co. declaring, "First time ever... Take an extra 50% off during Boxing Week!" I was completely (and successfully) brainwashed by their advertising campaign.

RW & Co. sales ad.

This year... It was SO BUSY.

When I arrived at the mall at 8:30am (it opened at 8am), the parkade was practically full. There were people everywhere! Parents with kids, teenagers, mom's with gigantic strollers, elderly people... Everything was busy. Lululemon had a line just to get into the store! RW & Co. was crawling with people. After waiting 15 minutes for a change room, I then waited 20 minutes to pay for my lone shirt. Then I waited 45 minutes in a line at Banana Republic! There were only four people running cash registers, and the line literally wound all around the store.

The line at Old Navy snaked back and forth about four times (as seen below). But thankfully there were 8-10 cash registers running, so the line moved fairly quickly.

Crazy Old Navy line.

It was definitely busier this year than it was last year. As I drove away, there were security guards and police directing traffic!

I feel a little shell shocked, and I'm not entirely sure if all the waiting in lines was worth it. Perhaps next year I'll go shopping during Boxing Week rather than specifically on Boxing Day.

Heh. I say that now... But come next year, I'm sure I'll find myself waiting in lines again...

Happy Shopping!

No comments:

Post a Comment