Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Amanda's Favourite Things 3.0

There's nothing like failing your gestational diabetes screening, and then having to spend what you thought would be two hours, but is actually three hours, in a waiting room for the follow-up glucose tolerance test.

Gestational diabetes screening is a routine test that all expectant mothers take between 26-28 weeks of pregnancy. Failing it doesn't mean you have gestational diabetes (the screening turns back a lot of false positives), but it does mean that you need to take the longer, more accurate, glucose tolerance test. For those of you not familiar with a glucose tolerance test, you fast for 10 hours, get a blood sample, then you drink a thick sugary glucose drink, followed by a second blood sample at the hour marker, and third sample at the two hour marker. The baby, now the size of a big eggplant (14.8 inches long!) has been rolling around in my belly like a mad woman for the last 30 minutes. She's clearly on a sugar high. But yes, it's a long time to wait in a lab waiting room. I'm killing time. I had an 8:30am appointment this morning, but they were running so far behind that my test didn't actually start until 9:15am. Luckily, I came prepared with laptop in tow.

So, it's time for another rendition of Amanda's Favourite Things. It's been a few years since my last one, but there's something about Christmas that makes you revisit what your favourite things of the year have been.

Books-- by far, the Martian by Andy Weir


This book was recently turned into a movie, starring Matt Damon, and the movie didn't quite do the book justice. Being a bit of a science nerd myself, I thoroughly enjoyed the trials and tribulations of the main character, Mark Watney. I also can't remember the last time that a book made me laugh out loud-- and the Martian did, MULTIPLE times. I'd highly recommend this read!

Games -- Candy Crush


I'm not sure if this is a "favourite" as it is an obsession/compulsion. I have been playing Candy Crush for almost two years now. I am on level 1150, and I just can't seem to stop playing. It seems like most people gave up on Candy Crush a few weeks after they started to play. But not me. I must. Keep. Going.

Decor -- 3 Sprouts


I admit, my mind has been on baby a lot the last few months. We've been slowly getting our nursery into shape, and I felt like I struck gold when I discovered 3 Sprouts. 3 Sprouts is all about cute and practical storage... Maybe this is why it calls to me! I found myself purchasing storage boxes, caddies, a laundry hamper and a stroller organizer. There are so many well designed animals to choose from, and they're at a reasonable price too! My favourite is the hedgehog, featured above.

Food -- Chai Nut Mylk Smoothie (Jugo Juice)


I love smoothies. Jugo Juice introduced their newest smoothie, Chai Nut Mylk in December. It's a blend of banana, unsweeted almond milk and organic chai tea spices. It is DELICIOUS. I made a rendition of it at home a couple days ago, and I can tell you, I will be making it again.


Random -- Huggable Heartwarmer heating pads!

Beaver, Walrus and T-Rex

I picked up this Walrus last year at the Telus Convention Center Art Market. Aside from being unbearably adorable, his heatable rice pack also keeps you warm in cold weather and soothes aches and pains. Last December I had the flu for the first time in 9 or 10 years, and I had a terrible case of the chills. I heated up Walrus, and it was heavenly. There's a whole variety of Huggable Heartwarmers that are available from a local company... Some of you might even be seeing one of these in your upcoming Christmas present!

Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment