Thursday, December 22, 2011

December Favourites

You may have noticed that it's been a slow news month.

I haven't finished my Christmas shopping, but hopefully I can wrap it up tomorrow.

For now, I'll share some of my new favourites.

1) Fruits & Passion Blueberry Body Butter and Shower Cream

I would pick Fruits & Passion products over Body Shop or Bath & Body Works products any day of the week. In particular, I love the Blueberry products by Fruits & Passion. They just smell so good. SO GOOD! Sometimes, I find myself excited to shower in the morning because I know I get to break out the blueberry shower cream.

If you're looking to try a new bath product, I suggest these!



2) Clinique 3-Step Skin Care

I have been using Clinique products for almost ten years now, but I never quite got all the way on board with their 3-step skin care line. I used the face wash, and I used the face cream, but I never bothered with the step 2 "clarifying lotion." Part of the problem was that I had no idea what it was, and the other part was that I had no idea what it did.


A few weeks ago on a whim, I decided to try the full 3-step program. I had a bottle of the clarifying lotion stuffed away in a cupboard from a gift-with-purchase earlier in the year.

I gotta tell you, the results are amazing! My skin is smoother, the tone is more even, and it retains moisture better. I wish I had tried the full 3-step program earlier!

3) Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand

In August, I saw this book when Tom's cousin it for their grandmother's birthday. I read the synopsis and was surprised by the overwhelmingly positive reviews it got on Amazon.com. Finally, after weeks on the hold list, I got "Unbroken," by Laura Hillenbrand out of the library.

I think this may have been one of the best books I've ever read.


Laura Hillenbrand is a talented author, and spent seven years researching and writing this book. The results were amazing, and I poured through this book in a matter of days. I was never tempted to read her previous best seller, "Seabiscuit," but having read "Unbroken," I will have to find myself a copy.

"Unbroken" is the biography of Louis Zamperini. A man who competed in the 5000m track event in the 1936 Olympics at age 19. He was expected to be the first individual to run a 4-minute mile, and was expected to medal in the 1940 Olympics. When the Olympics were cancelled when World War II began, Louis trained as a bombardier in the air force. Subsequently, his plane crashed in the Pacific Ocean, where he was lost at sea for over 40 days on a life raft. Eventually he drifted into Japanese controlled waters and became a prisoner of war.

The story of Louis' life was engrossing, fascinating and at times, horrifying. The strength of human spirit and the resilience of the individuals in this book is truly amazing. I have found myself recommending this book to anyone who will listen!

4) Spiced Pepitas and Pecans

I came across this recipe in a Glamour magazine (of all places) and I've started making it every holiday season. I've modified the recipe to also include almonds, but I love this tangy mixture! It is festive, yet a nice change from traditional holiday baking.


Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup lightly packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon allspice
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • pinch of cayenne pepper
  • 2 large egg whites
  • 1 tablespoon watter
  • 1 1/2 cups raw pepitas (shelled pumpkin seeds)
  • 3/4 cup almonds
  • 3/4 cup shelled pecan halves
Preheat the oven to 300 degrees (F). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

In a small bowl, combine sugar, cinnamon, allspice, cumin, salt and cayenne. Set aside. In a large bowl, beat the egg whites and water until frothy. Stir in the pepitas, almonds and pecans, then add sugar mixture. Toss until nuts are completely coated.

Evenly spread nuts on the prepared baking sheet. Bake 20 to 25 minutes, until crispy. Let cool completely. Store in an airtight container.

Someone described this treat to me as a "nutty explosion of deliciousness." I couldn't agree more.

I hope you are ready for the holidays!

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

No comments:

Post a Comment