Sunday, June 14, 2020

Love in the Time of COVID-19

Earlier this year, my long-time friend, Steve, told us that he was getting married this year. Just a small affair, immediate family and he and his bride's best friends.

To say I was looking forward to it is an understatement. I love weddings. I love love, and I love seeing other people in love-- especially Steve, who is cynical and mush-adverse in so many ways. 

As the pandemic set in, group events were limited and business began to close down. Steve and Mizcha got word that they would have to postpone their wedding reception. Their venue was one of the many business that was closing indefinitely.

Steve and Mizcha took it all in stride. They said they still planned to get married on their planned date, and they would have their party when they were able. Steve's sister sent out invitations so she could host the ceremony at her house. But as COVID-19 restrictions tightened, she eventually had to cancel that as well. 


But Steve and Mizcha still got married, and we still got to participate in our own small way. Steve's sister, Kate, married them on Sunday, May 3 in an appropriately socially distanced ceremony on her driveway. Her husband, daughter, Jeff and Gwen and Mizcha's best friend attended as witnesses.

I watched with Ashley, Steve's parents and Mizcha's friend, Dave, on Zoom. I attended wearing a yellow t-shirt with a dinosaur on it. 


Congratulations, Mizcha and Steve! I'm so glad you didn't let COVID-19 slow down your plans. 

No comments:

Post a Comment