Saturday, April 5, 2014

2014 Race Itinerary

Normally at this time of year I would be well into half-marathon training. The last two years I have run the Calgary half marathon which normally occurs the last week of May-- or in this case, the first weekend of June. After last year, two half marathons, eight months straight of training, shin splits and bruised heels, I decided I would take it easier this year, and only run one major race.

As it has turned out, it is probably for the best. I keep catching colds that have put me out of commission, and it has been so cold this winter, I have barely had a chance to run.

However, I have two races on my itinerary this year.

COLOR ME RAD - June 28


After having to opt out of Color Me Rad last year because of flooding, I deferred my race registration to this year. This is a 5km race novelty race-- I don't even think they record your time.  Basically, you run 5km with a pack of your friends while people throw corn starch colour-bombs at you. It is going to be AWESOME.

LAS VEGAS ROCK 'N ROLL HALF MARATHON - November 16

 
The Las Vegas Rock 'N Roll Half Marathon happens late in the fall. 13.1 miles (or 21.1km) down the Las Vegas strip-- starting at dusk.  The best part of this race is that it starts in the evening! I have never been much of a morning runner, so the idea of running later in the day is very appealing to me.
 
I had no idea this race was so huge. Past races have had around 45000 participating runners! I'm a little concerned about some of the race accounts I've read from previous racers-- some people say the race is not very well managed. Start corals are congested, not enough aid stations... But I hope that with years of experience of running an event this large, it will have improved over the years!
 
My full training won't start until early August, but I hope to get back to a more regular running schedule as the weather starts to warm up.
 
Ashley and Andrew will be joining us in Vegas for this race-- and hopefully Jasmine and Joel as well.
 
Looking forward to these races in 2014!

No comments:

Post a Comment