Monday, September 3, 2012

Vancouver Island Weekend

Late on Friday night, Tom and I boarded a flight for a few days in Victoria, BC. We arrived at around 10:30pm, and drove our rental car into the downtown where we checked in to the Fairmont Empress. I love the Fairmont Empress. This is the third time we have stayed at the hotel, and I always enjoy the service, the history and the beautiful facade of the building.

Vines growing up the side of the Fairmont Empress.

In the morning we woke up late, and walked to the Blue Fox Cafe. Tom had found the restaurant by googling for breakfast venues-- it is ranked the fourth most popular restaurant in Victoria on Trip Advisor.  

We waited about 45 minutes for a table at the Blue Fox. We chatted with two gentlemen in line behind us who were from Seattle, who told us they came to the Blue Fox every time they were in Victoria. They said the last time they had eaten both breakfast and lunch there on the same day, and it was definitely worth the wait.

Breakfast joint.

I ordered the Eggs Pico Benedict, with fresh avocado, salsa fresca, chipotle aioli and feta. Tom ordered the Eggs in Hell Benedict with fresh avocado, spicy chorizo, grilled tomato and chipotle.

My God... It was SO GOOD. There are no words to describe how delicious this breakfast was. Afterward, I felt like I was going to burst!

Eggs Pico Benedict.

After breakfast, Tom and I waddled (this is the only word to describe how we moved when so full of eggs benedict) to Beacon Hill Park, overlooking the Strait of Juan de Fuca. We walked along the shoreline and enjoyed the sunshine.

Shoreline at Beacon Hill Park.

Our next stop was back at the hotel so we could get ready for my cousin's wedding. 

I admit, my family has not been very good at keeping in touch with this side of the family. Although it has only been about two years since I saw Laura, the years between seeing some of my other relatives is a bit embarrassing!

Laura and her fiance, David, got married at Hatley Castle on the Royal Roads University Campus. Hatley Castle was built by Laura and James Dunsmuir, and was completed in 1908. The ballroom alone was over 1200 sq. ft-- larger than the condo that Tom and I have lived in for four years. Hatley Castle served us a home for the Dunsmuir family until 1937, when it was sold to the government at the rock bottom price of $75,000.

Hatley Castle.

 Laura and David had perfect weather for their ceremony, and they both looked radiant and happy. While the wedding party had photos taken, we ate appetizers on the veranda, and had a tour of the main floor of the castle. Hatley Castle has been used in several Hollywood movies, most recently as Xavier's School for Gifted Young People, in X-Men 2 and 3.

Laura and David pose for photos.

When I was younger, I always used to think of the two ladies below as my Auntie Jean (Laura's mom) and Auntie Donna, but the truth is that they're actually my cousins. Over the years, I had also forgotten how petite they are! I felt like some sort of giant standing next to them!

Jean, myself and Donna at the wedding reception.

Laura and David listening to their wedding guests sing.

On our final day in Victoria, Tom and I had Afternoon Tea at the Empress. We drank Empress blend tea (again.. SO DELICIOUS), and ate from a three-tiered platter containing delicate pastries, soft pillowy scones, finger sandwiches and other tea sweets. By the end we were both stuffed, and buzzing with a sugar overload.



Afternoon tea and the Empress.

Following tea, we went on another GPS-related wild goose chase before we found our way to the famed Butchart Gardens. We wandered through the gardens for just under two hours. It must have been a peak weekend for tourists, because there were people everywhere you looked!


Butchart Gardens.

The Sunken Garden.

A brilliant array of flowers.

 To wind up our trip, we headed to the wharf for a seafood dinner before we caught our flight home. Tom and I decided on Red Fish Blue Fish, an outdoor restaurant made of an up-cycled cargo container on the pier. Red Fish Blue Fish specializes in fish 'n' chips, with a focus on sustainable Ocean-Wise seafood.

Tom and I had high hopes for Red Fish Blue Fish-- we thought that it might rival the fish tacos we had consumed at Jaws Tacos on Maui. After all, Red Fish Blue Fish is ranked the number nine restaurant in Victoria! But unfortunately, our 'tacones' (tacos that are cone-shaped), did not live up to our expectations. Our dinner was tasty and enjoyable, but probably not worth the 35 minute wait in line.

And with that, we headed to the airport for an uneventful flight home.

And that concluded our Vancouver Island weekend.

Back to work!

No comments:

Post a Comment