Sunday, October 16, 2011

Tempting Your Palate

On Friday, Tom and I went to the Rocky Mountain Wine and Food Festival with some friends. It was my second year attending, and it has become an event that I really look forward to!

The festival is comprised of dozens upon dozens of exhibitors with sampling sized portions of wine, beer, rum, vodkas, ciders, desserts, appetizers and food. You purchase sampling tickets for 50 cents each, and sampling an item can cost you anywhere from 2-10 tickets.

Here are some highlights of my sampling for the night:

Crabbie's Original Ginger Beer


I tried ginger beer a few times when I was in Australia, and I further solidified my love for it when we were in the UK. This is the first time I've seen ginger beer in Canada, and I was eager to try it! I was not disappointed. Apparently this ginger beer (brewed in Scotland) is available at the Kensington Wine Market.

Buttercream Bakeshop - Strawberry Shortcake Cupcake


My favorite part of the night is the Buttercream Bakeshop stall. Last year we went there more than once, and this year we did the same. Although they offered a chocolate chilli and pumpkin carmel flavour, I stuck with ol' faithful, strawberry shortcake. Why try something new when you know you won't be disappointed?

Kung-Fu Girl Riesling


Kung Fu Girl Reisling was another favorite from last year. I already knew that I liked it, so I made sure to sample some again. Last year I even bought a bottle of this wine to enjoy on my own (and as you know, I don't like wine), but Tom mistakenly opened up the bottle and used it for cooking asparagus.

UBU Lounge Lobster Corn Dog

Imagine chunks of lobster deep fried in a corn batter, and then slathered in a delicious creamy dill sauce. Need I say more?!

Here are some lowlights of the night:

Alaska Distillery - Smoked Salmon Flavored Vodka


Okay, I admit... I didn't actually try this vodka. It just sounded absolutely revolting! Who thought it was a good idea to put FISH flavor into a beverage? When we passed this stall, they were mixing the vodka into caesars, which might not have been too bad... But I was too chicken to try it.

Frisky Zebra Red Wine

I can't even remember what type of red this was (maybe merlot or shiraz), but it burned all the way down. I was sucked in by the delightful name and label, but I regretted this sampling choice!

We spent almost five hours at this event, and sampled many other foods and beverages. We also attended a free cheese tasting from the Canadian Dairy Farmers. This is definitely something I'll be interested in attending again next year. Can't wait! Maybe I'll see you there?

No comments:

Post a Comment