Sunday, September 11, 2011

Land of the POME

When I was in Australia in 2007, one of our many tour guides asked me if I was a pome (pom-ee). I was understandably confused until the guide informed me that pome is a slang term for the British-- Prisoners of Mother England. The term refers to British convicts who were shipped to Australian penal colonies in the early 19th century. 'Pome' isn't exactly complimentary to the British, but to Australians, it's more of a good-natured insult. I don't think Tom and I will be throwing that term around at all!

And...

Only ten more days until Tom and I take off on our UK holiday! We have booked our hotels and solidified the route we are going to take through various countries.

Main destinations for UK-Paris Trip 2011.

Leg 1: Glasgow and Edinburgh

First we will fly into Glasgow on September 22. We will spend about five days in Scotland, and will celebrate our first wedding anniversary in Edinburgh.

Glasgow and Edinburgh, Scotland.

Leg 2: York, Llandudno and Oxford

In Edinburgh, we will rent a car, and discover the joys of driving on the left hand side of the road. Or rather, Tom will discover the joys of driving on the left hand side of the road. I will stay in the passenger seat to avoid getting us into a terrible, terrible accident. From Edinburgh, we will drive to York, Llandudno (Wales) and on to Oxford.

Road trip through England and Wales.

Leg 3: London and Paris

London will mark the end of our road trip. We will then enjoy four nights in London. We have tickets to see Les Miserables, and tickets on a the high-speed Eurostar train to take us to Paris. We will spend three nights in Paris before we fly back home in time for Thanksgiving.

London and Paris

I'm looking forward to our trip. Most of our hotels have WiFi along the way, so I hope to do a bit of blogging as we go.

Ten more days! Eeeeep!

No comments:

Post a Comment