Friday, May 14, 2010

A Mish-Mash of Updates

Update 1: Hawaii

Our plans for Hawaii 2010 are coming together. So far, Ashley, Steve and I have booked our flights. We'll be leaving July 9 (Ashley's heading out a day early), and returning on July 16th. The trip will fall almost entirely over Stampede week. This means that I will miss Aaron Lines at Nashville North, but I'm sure there will be other opportunities to see him in the following years. Jeff, Shauna and Billy are still looking into flights. It sounds like they'll be out on July 10, and back on July 17 or 18.

Update 2: Wedding

I picked up my dress on Saturday! It (of course) doesn't fit, but I was expecting that. Still love it. Still really love it. I'll be getting it altered in July.

Tom and I are doing a cake tasting this coming Saturday. There is a pastry chef that runs her own business out of the wedding venue, so we figured for the sake of simplicity, we'd go with her. I don't want to sell her short though! Her cakes sounds absolutely delicious. Check our her website here: http://whippt.ca/Whippt.html

Here is a list of some of the more interesting cakes that she makes. We're going to sample three. Chocolate, Raspberyy & Pistachio, Roasted Coconut Cream and Red Velvet. Mmmm... Makes me hungry just thinking about it.

Chocolate, Raspberry & Pistachio - Layers of pistachio cake, dark chocolate ganache & raspberry mousse

Passion fruit, rum and vanilla - Tahitian vanilla bean cake soaked in light rum syrup, layered with passion fruit curd or mousse

Raspberry & White Chocolate - Layers of vanilla bean soaked pound cakes & creamy white chocolate mousse, bursting with fresh raspberries

Triple Berry - Kirsch moistened sponge cakes layered with raspberries, strawberries, blackberries and chantilly cream (subject to season & availability)

Roasted Coconut Cream - Buttery vanilla cake soaked with light rum syrup & layered with coconut cream, toasted coconut & cream cheese icing

Lemon Chiffon - Light chiffon cake layered with lemon curd or lemon bavarian mousse & finished with vanilla buttercream

Chocolate Hazelnut - Light hazelnut biscuit & cocoa cake layered with creamy chocolate hazelnut buttercream

Mocha-Misu - Espresso soaked cocoa genoise with Italian mascarpone rum cream

Tom also took it upon himself to create a design to put on the cake. He's the one smoking a cigarette. I'm the one doing the decapitating. See? I have girl hair.


Tom's wedding cake design -- all rights reserved.

Update 3: 10km

Last week, I ran my first 10km! Or rather, thought that I ran 10km two Sundays ago. I finished in 67 minutes. This is by no means fast, but I was still quite pleased with myself. Then on Friday I decided I would run it again. Only... I quickly realized that I must have been delusional last week because my math was off when I was converting miles to kilometers, and I actually only ran 9.75km on Sunday.

Blast!

But it's okay. I ran the full 10km on Friday afternoon, and I did it in 65 minutes! So I ran further, and faster overall. Seems good to me.

I've been thinking I should sign up for some road races this year... But I'm a bit of a chicken!

Update 4: Hikes Galore

Looks like Tom and I might get to hike up to the Burgess Shale this summer, thanks to the silent auction win that Jill and Paige acquired at the GeoCanada conference.

Plus, we're starting to make a plan for hiking the Juan de Fuca trail on Vancouver Island in July with Andrew and Ashley. We're going to have to acquire a whole bunch of camping and back packing equipment, ASAP!

Update 5: Stubborn Child, Refuses to Say "Hotdog"

As I mentioned in a previous post, a couple weeks ago I was on the phone with my sister, and Dylan said "Hotdog!" on the phone.

Tom and I saw him last weekend, and we tried to coax it out of him again. He refused, stubborn kid that he is. "Dada" is still his descriptor of choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment